The recent filing of Ryan Bundy scared me a little bit:

http://www.opb.org/news/series/burns-oregon-standoff-bundy-militia-news-updates/ryan-bundy-incompetent-subject-federal-law/

We're breeding these people, somehow.  Granted the 'sovereign citizens' are
very different from the Trumpists and the mass shooters.  But I can't shake the
feeling they're related.  They (Trumpists, mass shooters, 'sovereign citizens',
3%-ers, anti-abortionists, oath keepers, etc.) all seem to make the immune
system analogy, thinking they're  playing the role of the immune system and
"government" (as well as liberals) are the infection.  But your Hodgkin's
metaphor might work well, there.  They take some normal ligand like an oath,
badge, or moral stance and modify its function for a slightly different
purpose.  (Is the oath/badge the ligand or the receptor?)

--
☢ glen