Once upon a time there was "information." People loved information and
kept abundant amounts of in their heads and used it as a means of
commerce among themselves, sharing it and savoring it and finding
profit in it.

One day a new king, King Codd, conquered the realm and took all the
information away from all the people. He dissembled all the information
into meaningless pieces, called "data" and locked it away in an
impenetrable matrix called a "schema." This required great effort, a
process called "normalization," but it was, "worth it, because I can
prove, mathematically', that data can be reassembled with the magic
incantations of SQL." Information was thrown into the dungeons of
thousands of Relational DataBase Management Systems (RDBMS), never to
bee seen in its beautiful original form again.

Unfortunately, it proved impossible for the people to normalize
properly, Codd-Normal-Form, had no algorithm or process to assure it was
achieved and no one could master SQL - the logic was simply not
something that most people could master. And, if you really did achieve
proper normalization, it was so inefficient it was not practical, so
everyone "demoralized" their vast stores of data so they could use them,
poorly and in a crippled manner, to try and get some of their beloved
information back.

The worst part of this story came later when the people found that the
impenetrable matrix — the schema that held all their information hostage
in the form of dissociated data, connected only with predefined
"relationships" — made it impossible to retrieve any and all the
"information" that they wanted and needed.

In anguish, the people invented an entire new profession - Data Mining -
that essentially 'crushed' the data stores creating gravel composed of
individual datums and put the result in a different, more malleable
matrix — live gravel in cement and sand and water (before the matrix
dries). From this new medium the people would pluck bits of gravel and
place them next to each other an proclaim, "Look! Information!"

Alas, this new "information" proved to lack most of the meaning that
was intrinsic to the information the people once new and loved. All
the semantics had been stripped from the old information when it was
first placed in the RDBMS dungeons. The new juxtapositions of datums
that data miner's called 'information' rapidly proved to be a pale
imitation of the original. Once a video junkie, working as a clerk at
the video rental company around the corner, could make accurate and
reliable predictions about what movie you might want to view next —
because of all the natural information he had in his head. But now,
even the great wizard, NetFlix, despite all the algorithmic prowess
and all the mined data it possesses, cannot make as accurate a
prediction as the teenage clerk.

To this day, most of the world suffers from the massive evils
perpetrated by the Wicked King Codd. Information, once abundant and
freely shared with little more organization than the 'story', remains a
rare and precious thing.

Nick - this is my metaphor, can you discern my theory and guess how,
when, where, and why I utilize that theory?

dave west