"You seem to be saying that, if an individual is a member of a team, they a)
cannot do _anything_ outside the context of that team and b) they can't belong
to any other teams.  That's a very strange set of conditions to imply.  Just
because you're an employee of the NSA does not mean you can't use your math
skills to design a better horse trailer (assuming the NSA doesn't design horse
trailers ...)."

A professional avoids doing things outside of the stated goals of a team
because their consulting rates or salary is in part a function of their
productivity, and further belonging to other teams makes risks making them less
potent on their primary efforts.   Some teams tolerate outside interests, e.g.
at one point Google let people work ~10% on their own projects), but the other
~90% ends-up being team goals.    Bottom line is that multitasking is less
efficient than batch processing.  Of course, what one does is find teams that
best match for one's interests.   Teams that lack focus tend to run out of
money and disappear.

So better to participate in several smaller, efficient and well-matched teams
rather one big team that spends money in a careless fashion or has team members
that are non-committal or insufficiently skilled.

Marcus