Glen -
(I scoured my experience and did, actually, remember a female that fit the pattern ... only one, mind you, but extant. So, I don't feel entirely disingenuous using "she" and "her" above. But my guess, based on stereotypes, is that most use cases will see a male -- perhaps with a spittle-flecked gray[ing] beard -- in the role.)
but I don't know you to sport a beard? The rest is something I can feature though!

I miss your ur-signature: " get off my lawn <fistshake>! "

This whole line of observation seems somewhat like a simple point-example of the broader idea that nothing (and no-one) exists in isolation, everything is part of a larger ecology, and every role, no matter how absurd nor humble contributes to the milieu.

I suspect even the lowly dung-beetle imagines him(her)self to be a (ig?)noble apex predator!

- Steve
PS. I DO have a gray beard and it is more often flecked with my lunch than spittle, but I do recognize the image you paint in the mirror... now "get off my lawn!"