Glen wrote:
A friend of mine voted for Stein (again).  When we discussed my choice to jump
ship and vote for Clinton (and his wife's choice to vote for Clinton), his
argument was that, fundamentally, Clinton is cut from the same cloth as
Clinton1 and Bush2.  Sure, there are various overtones.  E.g. Clinton2 seems to
me like she's a _serious_ public servant.  But at the core, she's a neoliberal,
a globalist.  This ability/preference to look at the horizon and consider what
lies beyond is critical to competence in any domain, I think.
I never doubted Clinton2's credentials or preparation for the office. Who has EVER had more preparation than her? And I would have preferred her over Trump1 by an indescribable factor. Mainly because of HIS failings, not just his LACK of preparation for the role, but much of his anti-preparation as a uber-businessman... and of course the racist/misogynist/bigotry on top of all of that.

I voted for Jill as a vote for the third party concept. I gave her my "put a woman in the whitehouse" vote that Hillary could have had. I gave her the "put someone who wasn't self-selected and trained as a lawyer" vote too. I gave her PARTY my "save the planet soon" vote, and I gave them my "humanist" vote as well. I don't think there is much if any evidence that Greens/Jill pulled a spoiler, and if anything it seems as if Gary/Libs came closer to gumming up Trump's gears.

Like many Trump voters, I'm ready to break our pattern of "business as usual"... but definitely not ready to let a loose cannon like him into the White House. I'm pretty sure we are about to be in for a wild ride.

I don't know for sure what either your nor Marcus' working definition of "Parochial" might be in this case.... it seems (to me) to cover a LOT of territory. I tend to use it in as literal (narrow/limited view) as possible without the attachments to conservatism or judgements about intolerant/etc. I personally came from very parochial environments, up to and including my decades at LANL. For as educated and worldly as many folks there can be, there was a certain parochialism that comes, perhaps, with the chosen education/professions of hard science and engineering.

Similarly, I often feel that Santa Fe is guilty of multi-parochialism... an ensemble of fairly limited, narrow views of the world. The trust fund babies, the spiritual-noveau crowd, the native community(ies), the Sons/Daughters of Onate/DeVargas, and surely *our* crowd as well. There are MYRIAD exceptions to this seemingly dismissive judgement and I revel in the range of people and perspectives that I encounter here. Perhaps THIS is of which Glen speaks... maybe this is as "good as it gets"? I DO have lots of experiences that tell me that VERY FEW people's parochialism actually matches my preconceived stereotypes of them.

I don't know if there is much percentage in looking for (anti)correlations between presumed parochialism and economic vigor. Perhaps I just don't value economic vigor enough to want to validate it as a measure of intellectual/spiritual breadth/vigor?

Your numbers below may provide some justification for a (slightly) increased
performance for those who consider a larger space of possibilities.  But there
are confounding factors that can't all be chalked up to that core
ability/preference.  For example, we could argue (as Haidt does) that we're all
parochial, but some of us (simply) stumble into or are born into different
influences.  E.g. someone born near a large city with cheap flights overseas
will be much more likely to travel widely.  So, they're still parochial, just
with a different set of impinging influence.  The same could be said of people
born in a place like Wyoming.  We could say that none of us _are_ parochial in
any sense; we just seem that way because of our history/ontogeny.