Robert -

I am glad to have found the FRIAM forum--thanks to Steven Guerin--as it so often has an array of viewpoints that come from a variety of learned backgrounds and borne up by interpretations from a variety of news sources. In spite of these differences, the forum threads remain very congenial toward exploring a variety of contemporary topics.
It is a good, if unexpected forum for this class of conversation, given the formal agenda of "all things Complexity". I agree that the learnedness, the congeniality, and to a moderate extent the international constituency truly makes this a valuable forum. I am always glad when "yet another" voice weighs in here. I know of a few who have been driven off by some specific collective failing, or a singular snag in the discourse, but for the most part, I think we have as good of a cross-section of points of view, at least from "the learned elite". I have other, better sources of input and discussion with "the man on the street", including in a few cases, internationally. I truly appreciate this aspect of the globe-spanning communications network that didn't truly erupt into it's modern glory until about 20 years ago!

    I wanted to respond to the original subject of the thread which I
    apprehend as the question of pre-determination vs. free will.  But
that was too hard of a "good question".

That's an interesting way of putting it. But, I see the original topic as a question of skill or talent versus luck in the game of economic strategies.
I was probably responding to Marcus' statement that "it is all physics"... which carries a pretty strong flavor of predetermination, or more to the point, deterministic if not predictable (see: Godel's Incompleteness). I have struggled mightily with the skill/talent-luck duality in my life. I think the truth is somewhere on the hairy edge of complexity. I've seen people with skill and talent fail miserably and others with little fly high in some games. I don't know how that plays out, for example, in elite fields of scientific study... I don't think Luck alone ever leads you to be an Einstein nor a Feynman, up to of course, claiming that it was luck which lead them to their natural talent and drive which lead them to their skills. At that level, I suppose it is "all physics"!

Pre-determined would be associated with the idea that sufficient skill will bring reliable economic gain. The corollary is that if you do not win, you are not skilled enough and therefore not as valuable to society. This is the underlying concept in *Human Capital*: Labor conceptually turned into Capital, such that education and training are not represented in the cost of goods sold (COGS). That is up to each individual to make themselves more valuable to the consumers of human capital: the capitalists. It sounds reasonable on the face of it, but it has the tendency to sort society in the same way as luck does in the investment game.
My own modest success in life seems to be as much a product of luck as anything and it IS hard to sort my own "luck" from my "talent"... my adeptness at mathematics, subjects based on mathematics, and in the language arts seems to be rooted more in my natural curiosity than anything else. While my friends were trying to get better at heading and heeling calves from horseback, I was writing poetry and mastering fractions... I still learned to ride (and rope) but wasn't as satisfied with that as a lifelong passion as I was with readin', 'ritin' and 'rithmatikken. I haven't been on a horse in decades but still feel the visceral pleasures of having once been a centaur for a few hours now and then. Looking back, maybe I wish I had spent my life on a horse rather than in my books... either way, is that "luck"?
I think you are associating the free will thing, then, with luck ... or, better, non-determinism. Free will is certainly about choices, but it is the source driving the outcome of those choices that is of interest to the original subject. Is is skill or chance ... with just the illusion of free-will being at play? The /Nautilus /article is suggesting that we delude ourselves into thinking that we had anything skill-wise to do with the outcomes. This is not an intuitive conclusion. But, if true, shouldn't it affect the way we regard any tax policy or each economic policy that affects access to possible prosperity for individuals--adjusting the probabilities of the game? In the context of the Human Capital trope, access to effective education and training could be where we would look to "taxing" the lucky to benefit the "unlucky." Who should do this: the public or private institutions operating on public infrastructure? It's a thinker, especially since multi-nationals are the big players these days ... that was the gist of the RT segment.
I, long ago, decided to treat this topic as if "for others" it is luck, but for me it is skill. I don't mean that I take credit for my successes and chalk others' up to luck, but rather that I pursue my own "luck" through development of what I feel to by my natural talents into more advanced skills, but when someone else lacks a skill or talent or circumstance, I accept that their lack might be "the luck of the draw". When I came to this, I left my sympathy with the conservative (more libertarian than republican) apprehension of the world and moved it quite a way to the left. Bernie was my man, Jill got my vote, Hillary got little more than a big groan out of me and Trump gets everything short of stark-raving disdain from me. And I helped Reagan defeat Carter.

What goes around, comes around.

- Steve