Gary -
There is a lot of gray area between standing up for principles (openness to new ideas, value of science and education, respect for rights of those with whom you disagree) and holier-than-thou self-righteousness, which is what I believe the "country folk" see as "elite". Step too far into that gray area and you get shot down, perhaps justifiably so.
I suppose the key for me is that I feel a lot less responsible for worrying about these yokels "feelings" when I feel like part of the underclass than I do when I feel like part of the overclass (elites?). Not all ARE yokels in the colloquial sense and by many measures *I* am a big yokel myself... but you get the drift. Oddly the (not so) loyal opposition doesn't seem to have any such principles, they seem too often to be "kick em while they are down" types, which allows me a bit of satisfaction in "kicking THEM while *I* am down" or perhaps more aptly, "kicking back". The satisfaction, I suppose, of standing up to a bully.

But the risk of this is always "becoming the bully". In my former life as a libertarian/conservative, I felt that "liberal elites" WERE being bullies themselves, and by golly I still often feel that way. I think for example, that Hillary and the DNC bullied their way over the top of Bernie and Jill, both of whom ARE pretty aligned with the DNC's espoused principles. But compared to their opposition, they are pretty mild, is the point.

Steve, I haven't looked much at mesh networking, but it looks like nodes need to be within hundreds of meters of each other, which is definitely not my use case. And the Mesh Potato stuff seems to be mostly for voice, not IP. If we want to discuss this more, it would probably be better suited for a new topic on WedTech.
Sure, or we can take it offline. I think I brought it up on WedTech over a year ago when I was working it actively and didn't hear any interest. This class of mesh *does* require fairly close proximity, but rather than hang, for example, a dozen Ubiquiti links on a dozen households in an "island", one would backbone in with one or two and then mesh out from there. It is also about community building and being good neighbors. The fundamental tech IS IP, with VOIP on top, they just make the VOIP very easy and very transparent and in some contexts that is the main thing needed by the folks using it.

- Steve