Tesselation vs. approximation: Ah, right.  I was sloppy with my language.
Sorry.

What you say in the blurb below is questionable because it implies something
about the representations ... something like an equivalence of expressive power
or somesuch.  If there is such a thing as expressive power, then a stronger
representation should not be recoverable from a weaker one.  But I suppose if
they all are built from the same type of basis set, then multiple weak ones
allow recovery of strong ones.

I'm always fascinated by the emphasis we (all) place on coherence and internal
consistency.  It seems like some sort of rhetorical fallacy, perhaps the
fallacy fallacy.  Perhaps we can arrive at the truth in spite of completely
flawed (e.g. self-inconsistent) representations?  Even a broken clock (Trump)
is right (a)periodically.

--
☣ glen