Glen writes:

"The freedoms of the irresponsible are paid for with the obligations of the
responsible ... the sick are helped by the healthy ... and the lucky (should)
pay for the bad luck of the unlucky."

Among adults, there's the view that irresponsibility is a form of mental
sickness.  And in a deterministic view of things, sickness just occurs whether
it `ought to' or not.

But, taking that retrospective view, the healthy could be expected to abandon
the sick to remain healthy in certain situations.

Not taking the mechanistic view, I think some would object to an equivalence of
responsibility and sickness and also arise at a similar conclusion that the
irresponsible could be abandoned in some situations.

It is not necessarily the case that `we' are a whole and must look after one
another.  The population can be partitioned into compartmentalized subsets.

Advocates of health risk pools basically have this view -- an indirect way to
do an ugly thing.

Marcus