From: Friam <friam-boun...@redfish.com> on behalf of ┣glen┫
<geprope...@gmail.com>
Sent: Sunday, September 10, 2017 12:47:16 PM
To: FriAM
Subject: Re: [FRIAM] Help for texas

On 09/10/2017 11:30 AM, Marcus Daniels wrote:
> One could imagine cultures in which sick people are quickly euthanized
> similar like sick pets.  Or, in the interest of reducing taxes or debt, that
> there was refusal
> <http://www.miamiherald.com/news/politics-government/article172024032.html>
> to fund hurricane relief.  Sure, there is no defining away that things are
> connected, but what is valued by the whole can be redefined or localized.
>
> Another example is how large corporations sometimes break-up into smaller
> companies, e.g. HP and HP Enterprise.    It is not clear that rebuilding some
> resorts on the east coast of Florida impacts me as much as, say, Brexit.
> Funding for recovery in Houston might make gas a little cheaper or certain
> domestic products, but such resources could also be routed from the middle
> east or Asia.   Now that nationalists are so influential, perhaps this a fine
> opportunity for them to prove they care about how they circumscribe the
> system.

If you're implying that the trade-off mentioned in that article is ethically
sound, then I'd tend to agree.  It's useful to compare a) spending money on
disaster relief/recovery versus b) spending money on the much longer-term, and
slower percolating, amelioration of suffering that is "entitlement spending".
Personally, I would tend to favor (b) over (a).  Episodic/acute disasters are
the type of thing that's *easier* to keep within our attention span ... much
easier than, say, the systemic costs of diabetes or lost productivity in old
age.  The costs being addressed by (b) are much less evident, even in these
times when the Boomers are starting to place serious drag on the system.  So,
my contrarian self would tend to emphasize (b), as the sheeple's short
attention span is turned to (a). 8^)  But, in the end, both cost categories
will be paid one way or another.  So, it's stupid to pay more attention to one
over the other, really.

--
␦glen?