Well, keeping people talking *can* be the problem.  And we don't really want to
shut them up when they go off the rails.  Boring story: At a recent beer
festival, a friend of mine was ranting about their neighbor and how _crazy_ she
is, for any of a number of meanings of the word "crazy".  My friend has reached
out to our government funded, volunteer-driven program:
https://resolutionsnorthwest.org/community/neighborhood-mediation-2/.

During our conversation, however, me and my friend disagreed (fundamentally) on
the differences between judges, arbitrators, mediators, and facilitators.
During the exchange, my friend committed
https://yourlogicalfallacyis.com/appeal-to-authority.  I tried to stop them by
calling out the fallacy.  That didn't work.  They accused me of condescension.
[sigh]  So, I asserted that I would counter-argue by *also* appealing to
authority.  And it worked!  My friend acquiesced.  As usual, the meta-ness of
the discussion (appealing to authority while arguing about methods of arguing)
was lost on everyone.

--
☣ gⅼеɳ