From: Friam [mailto:friam-boun...@redfish.com] On Behalf Of Marcus Daniels
Sent: Tuesday, October 03, 2017 5:24 PM
To: The Friday Morning Applied Complexity Coffee Group <friam@redfish.com>
Subject: Re: [FRIAM] AI and argument

"During the exchange, my friend committed
https://yourlogicalfallacyis.com/appeal-to-authority.  I tried to stop them
by calling out the fallacy.  That didn't work.  They accused me of
condescension. [sigh]  So, I asserted that I would counter-argue by *also*
appealing to authority.  And it worked!  My friend acquiesced.  As usual,
the meta-ness of the discussion (appealing to authority while arguing about
methods of arguing) was lost on everyone."

But if they must appeal to authority, and so many people on all sides so
often and so desperately want to, that authority could be a computer.   At
least there is some hope of persuading a computer a proposition is wrong and
why.    I can live with giving them what they want.

Marcus