Nick writes:

< Ok, Marcus, I am standing my ground as a realist here: ():-[) >

There you go trying to claim semantics for terms in a public dictionary again.
 (That’s an example of taking ground, like in my Go example.)    Doing so
constrains what can even be said.   It puts the skeptic in the position of
having to deconstruct every single term, and thus be a called terms like
smartass<https://www.foxnews.com/politics/kellyanne-conway-embarrasses-cnns-jim-acosta-during-heated-exchange>
 when they force the terms to be used in other contexts where the definition
doesn’t work.   A culture itself is laden with thousands of de-facto
definitions that steer meaning back to conventional (e.g. racist and sexist)
expectations.   To even to begin to question these expectations requires having
some power base, or safe space, to work from.

In this case, you assert that some discussants are software engineers and that
distinguishes them from your category.  A discussant of that (accused /
implied) type says he is not a member of that set and that it is not even a
credible set.  Another discussant says the activity of such a group is a skill
and if someone lacks it, they could just as well gain it while having other
co-equal skills too.   So there is already reason to doubt the categorization
you are suggesting.

< You cannot be against categories because you cannot TALK without categories.
“person” and “dog” are categories. Yes, the thought they call up in me is
inevitably wrong in some respect.  I see you with Korgies, but they are
actually Irish Wolf Hounds.  You cannot bake a sentence without breaking some
categories, yet the categories endure.  Something about the category is real.  >

Are you claiming that the concept of membership in particular biological
species is a subjective concept?   That I am hijacking the meaning of a person
or a dog?  Really?

< So, if you are not against categorization, per se, and since all categories
do violence of one sort or another, you must be against categories that do more
violence than they do good.  So, when I called you a gazelle, what violence did
I do?  Would I have done better to call you a Wildebeest?  Would I be more or
less disappointed in my expectations had I called you a Springbok?  >

For example, it would be better to call the young person in this story a girl.
 That requires having the cognitive flexibility to recognize that some terms
are dynamic or at least a matter of debate.

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/01/08/opinion/trans-teen-transition.html

Marcus