Herein lies the monist rub. If types of things are the same as things of type, then why do we have 2 words: "thing" and "type"?
Why not just have one word: "thing"? The same is true of "kind" vs. "type". Or any 2 words you might choose at random
from the dictionary. So, we all turn into "enlightened" people and go around mumbling "mu" all the time.

My answer, of course, is methodological pluralism. It's pragmatic to allow
different types, to distinguish one thing from another. And that's the end of
the hand-wringing. 8^) Sure, if you can partially unify things in order to make
some task simpler/better (e.g. inducing patterns into causal graphs to stress
test markets), fine. Do your partial unification. But moderation in all things
(including moderation) ... except beer consumption, which cannot be moderated!