Too much (IMO) of our contemporary (public and private?) discourse seems
to be high on confirmation bias.

The ensemble of possible futures (trajectories through?) has exploded
(see Kauffman's "Adjacent Possible") both with the growth of
technological complexity and with the shift in distribution of
communication "distances" (both geospatial and network).

Confirmation bias I will speculate (if not quite assert) is an important
self-protective skill (where self is the individual and possibly
collective ego).

    /See, see!  I Tole ya!
    /

    /(/hell in a handbasket OR heaven on a handcart, you pick/)/

There is a reason it exists and is so ubiquitous, but that doesn't mean
it isn't  (yet another) delusion and likely harmful in the long run.  It
might be a good way to "get you through the day" but I contend *really
sucks* as a long-term thinking strategy.

I appreciate Pinker offering us up lots of anecdotes/factoids and a
hopeful narrative to string them together.  I think they are a nice
tonic (though not antidote) for /murky dismal/ thinking (/awfulizing/
can be it's own self-fulfilling thing)...   but at least one place he
goes too far is to assume that HIS measures of "a good life" are
actually universal and complete.   They probably do apply to him and to
most/many on this list (middle-class +/- professionals far enough into
their careers/lives to have some assets or at least momentum).

Stable Genius in Chief  insists that the "roaring economy" he's managed
to pump up on massive environmental and social deregulation steroids and
government-debt fueled injections (via huge tax cuts for both wealthy
and corporate players in the stock market) adds to everyone's quality of
life.  Those without much if any stake in the stock market have to
depend on the lower unemployment rates that go with a "boom" which is
*some* relief, but if the bulk of the increased employment is in
low-pay, no-benefit jobs, it is at best a minor salve for some, and a
double-down for others (like the company store in the company town
raising prices but increasing everyone's credit limit and offering a
wider variety of luxury items most cant really afford in the first place?).

Much if not all of the first-world (at least Anglophonic ) seems to be
on the same trip...

To balance my own "awfulizing",  I have some confidence in anecdotal
heuristics like: "darkest before dawn" ; "has to get worse before it
gets better" ; "gotta hit bottom before you bounce back up".  Our
collective will/consciousness/awareness/???   IS a distribution (the
other subthread here of interest) and I wonder at whether it is more
usefully characterized as an integral or a superposition?

Mumble,

- Steve