Glen -
> Hm. I must have dropped the ball, here. I'm talking about a) being *aware* of
> one's triggers and b) where there are none, *installing* them. You're talking
> about triggering the way the right wingers talk about it ... as if it's a bad
> thing. My point in arguing with Steve's position is that reduction,
> triggering is a Good Thing. Maybe it's a Kierkegaardian argument. IANAP (I am
> not a philosopher. >8^)

thanks for reminding me (on of my) part of the larger argument.  I am
not adept enough in my own argument here to provide a good balance
between the modes of annealing we are discussing.  I practice (all the
time) collapsing the superposition of complex possibles into specific,
direct action, I guess it is called "life is what happens while making
other plans"?.  Sometimes I'm (self) aware of that (making
decisions/responding) and sometimes not (triggered/reacting?).
Somewhere in between is the "chip on the shoulder" metaphor, where I
might deliberately set a trigger/trap/chip to be
triggered/snapped/knocked-off as a way to force myself to make decisions
and/or relieve myself from the responsibility of those decisions.

I'm surprised (but welcome more introspection) that you would prescribe
*installing triggers* in the light of your proscription against
*premature binding* in general.  I'm sure there are plenty of nuances
I'm missing here.

> EI isn't about diminishing triggers ... or it shouldn't be, anyway. It should
> be about being aware of triggers, both yours and others'. The righties' PC
> problems reflect their trigger-awareness *disability*. It's just too
> difficult for them to keep track of what pronoun you want others to use ...
> or whether we have to put stalls around every toilet ... or why can't blatant
> Nazi's spout their hatred in the square without being ridiculed themselves.
>
> But you don't need to launch into a pompous lecture about EI in order to get
> people to think reflectively about themselves and others. People have been
> thinking reflectively for 10,000 years.
I'd also be interested in more reflection on the qualitative difference
between self-reflection and emotional intelligence?  Is the latter
anything more than "pompous" name for self-reflection?  Or is it a
particular quality or mode OF self-reflection?   I will admit to not
having a specific understanding/definition of the term, and suspecting
that our (half?) generational difference means that this (like a lot of
pop) terminology means something different to you than to me (see
discussion of basis spaces from recent threads?).
> The self-detection of vague things like degraded performance, insular
> thinking, etc. *is* about defining and installing particular and specific
> triggers. That's what I've been trying to claim, however incompetently.

I can't attest to your (in)competence in this, but it does feel like I'm
starting to get it, though I'm not clear on the nuances of what you mean
by installing specific triggers.   Roughly maybe, but I think an example
or two might help?

- Steve