Liminal --> use the analogy Schrodinger's cat, until the box is opened, the cat
is both alive and dead and neither alive nor dead, it is betwixt and between.
That is a kind of binary liminality. Generalize from that to N-ary space.

von Gennep was talking about rights of passage — of which few of us have really
experienced except in pale imitations. Two examples: from childhood to
adulthood, with rites and rituals that separate you from your identify as a
child, followed by a liminal period for the duration of the ritual, then
reincorporation with new clothes new privileges, new responsibilities as an
adult. Second, a secular person is stripped naked, cleansed, (separation) then
engages in guided prayer and other purification rituals (liminal) then dressed
in sacred clothing as a priest.

In Tibetan Buddhism, you die and are in Bardo. If you receive proper guidance,
your spirit can avoid being reincarnated and reborn. Bardo is liminal between
past life and future life (if you fail to accept the Light.")

In Dante's Divine Comedy, Purgatorio is a kind of liminal period where each of
your sins (PPPPPPP written on your forehead) are removed one at a time as you
ascend the peak.

davew

On Thu, Apr 2, 2020, at 12:59 PM, Frank Wimberly wrote:
> "Liminal etc." What??
>

> Morelocks of Friam unite. That I could transliterate.
>

> ---
> Frank C. Wimberly
> 505 670-9918
> Santa Fe, NM