From: Friam <friam-boun...@redfish.com> on behalf of Owen Densmore
<o...@backspaces.net>
Sent: Monday, April 13, 2020 9:44 PM
To: The Friday Morning Applied Complexity Coffee Group <friam@redfish.com>
Subject: Re: [FRIAM] anthropological observations

Nicely done David.

On Mon, Apr 13, 2020 at 9:35 AM Jochen Fromm
<j...@cas-group.net<mailto:j...@cas-group.net>> wrote:
I believe the cultural divide between China and the US is bigger than the
cultural divide between US and EU. At the moment I'm reading "River Town" from
Peter Hessler, an American who spent 2 years for the Peace Corps as an English
teacher in Fuling, Sichuan. Sichuan is located in the west of China and it is
known for Pandas and spicy food.

The book is a few years old. Nevertheless Peter reports that many Chinese back
then saw both Hitler and Mao as great leaders (!), despite their crimes and
their millions of victims. Some even confuse the dictator in Charlie Chaplin's
movie "The Great Dictator" with the real Hitler. Of course in the US and in the
EU nobody shares this view.

Peter also reports about the strong effects of lifelong propaganda from the
communist party of China. In Europe we have propaganda as well, but it is
mostly in form of marketing and advertising for corporations and their
products. Advertising for political parties only happens during elections for
limited periods of time. We have freedom of speech in EU & US, but there is no
freedom of speech in China. I believe that's a major difference between EU & US
and China.

-J.