Excellent! Thanks for that qualifier. A remaining question is: When you state
your CONCLUSION without a subjective qualifier, the audience is supposed to
implicitly *hear* a qualifier. But when someone on MSNBC states their
conclusions without the qualifer, you hear *authoritarian* assertions.

Why should your audience have to insert the qualifier themselves, but *you*
don't have to insert the qualifier when listening to others? That may be
unclear. Why do you hear scientists' assertions as authoritarian, but expect
the scientists to hear your assertions as lil-ole-me opinions?

I.e. why are their qualifier-less expressions any different from your
qualifier-less expressions?

I suppose you could make the argument that your platform is much smaller than
theirs. So, nobody could mistake what you say for authoritarian. But I'd argue
that your email address and name "Prof David West" make explicit leverage of
the authority that comes along with professorship, much like Dr. Oz explicitly
leverages the authority of the "Dr" prefix. To boot, implicitly, the jargonal
language you use (e.g. "ethnographic research mode") lends a hint of "I'm an
expert because I can use these words". With no qualifiers like "my attempts at
ethnographic research", which could be emphasized with further qualifiers like
"my layman's attempts at ..." or whatever, it would be easy for me to *fear*
you and those who talk like you.

I don't fear you, because you seem like a nice person. But I do fear those who
might read your authoritative words and uncritically believe them.

--
☣ uǝlƃ

. ...
FRIAM Applied Complexity Group listserv
Zoom Fridays 9:30a-12p Mtn GMT-6  bit.ly/virtualfriam