So, if you're serious about *your* attempt to model Nate Silver, then you would
find something in your experience that *means* something similar to what Nate
means. And jargonal "expected value" <=> vernacular "I expect" isn't that thing.

Your last paragraph comes closer. But you chose to frame it as something you
would prefer him to say, as opposed to using your own words to restate what
he's actually saying.

To me, I think what he's actually saying is "It's my job to collect and clean
some data, often based on heuristics, then run that data through some
(admittedly biased) algorithms, present the result to you, and engage in some
light-handed (also biased) interpretation of that data." Then he might go on to
say something like "What you infer from that output data is your own business.
But don't tell me what I implied simply based on your (mistaken) inference."

That's *my* rewording because it's analogous to experiences I have every single
day building and running models for (often computationally incompetent) people.
It has nothing to do with prediction and *everything* to do with putting
computational power into the hands of people who, without me, wouldn't
ordinarily have that power. Nate's a (horizontal) technologist. It's
regrettable that he's being thought of as some sort of oracle. (Even if he ends
up getting off on the attention.)

Technologists, like scientists, struggle a LOT with packaging what they do and
how their produce can be used. And *always* ... always always always, there's
some non-tech person somewhere imputing things that are not there (or ignoring
things that are there). It would help a lot if you "soft skilled" people would
actually use your soft skills and make a real effort to understand what's being
said without imputing what you want to hear. (To be clear, I'm not making
accusations against you or anyone here, right now... just venting a little. ...
Just this morning a fellow technologist was telling me how his executives
renamed a relatively straightforward machine learning tool with some
high-falutin' misleading references to "virtuality" and AI. Arg. You metaphor
people make our lives so difficult.)

--
☣ uǝlƃ

. ...
FRIAM Applied Complexity Group listserv
Zoom Fridays 9:30a-12p Mtn GMT-6  bit.ly/virtualfriam