From: Friam <friam-boun...@redfish.com> On Behalf Of u?l? ?>$
Sent: Monday, November 1, 2021 10:49 AM
To: friam@redfish.com
Subject: Re: [FRIAM] lurking

Excellent! I agree completely. When behavior like Blue Sky thinking is
encouraged ... rewarded, even ... you end up with Blue Sky thinkers unaware of
their own ignorance. I watched both these vids during my workout this morning:

"Why ignorance fails to recognize itself" Featuring David Dunning
https://youtu.be/ErkhYq13VVE

How the U.S. Keeps Losing its Wars
https://youtu.be/SmpkdPm9eeQ

Both are good examples of the dark side of gaming. And the statistification of
work environments has successes as well as failures. Thanks to Deming
<https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/W._Edwards_Deming> et al for the horror show
that is Amazon.

But I don't blame gaming. Gaming is older than God. It's maximizing/optimizing
that's to blame. Gaming is objective-neutral. In some sense, so is maximizing,
just a little less neutral (by 1 dimension, I guess). Given that we're embedded
in a wannabe meritocracy, gaming is miscast as maximizing and maximization is
fixated on merit. And merit is fixated on clicked Likes and money.

--
"Better to be slapped with the truth than kissed with a lie."
☤>$ uǝlƃ

FRIAM Applied Complexity Group listserv
Zoom Fridays 9:30a-12p Mtn UTC-6  bit.ly/virtualfriam un/subscribe