What's interesting about that essay is its appeal to character or "virtue ethics", I
think. I've tried to address this a few times in past threads, especially when concepts like
"bad faith" arise. Rittenhouse' crying looked precisely like bad faith to me. I get
accused of it a lot because I enjoy playing roles and believe playing roles (like Devil's Advocate)
facilitates healthy reasoning. (E.g. EricC's accusation of illiberalism on my part when condemning
the anti-masker's punching of the doctor.)

So, I'd argue against you completely. This essay is talking about how to detect and
operate in the presence of bad faith. And, to be clear, the bad faith actor doesn't
necessarily *know* that they're acting in bad faith. In fact, it's a more canonical case
of bad faith if the actor has simply habituated to it. Rittenhouse's crying on the stand
and Kavanaugh's crying in his confirmation hearings both seem to me to be statements
about their *character*. That means whatever ways we have/develop to detect bad faith can
be made reflective ... kinda like the Reddit forum "Am I the Asshole?" 8^D

I doubt one's oxytocin-laced skepticism over such acting is completely
arbitrary ... or even a preference at all.