I don't know how the backwater HS I went to (Douglas AZ) in the early 70s acquired a PDP-8 but the (Chemistry) teacher who ran the Basic programming labs used the original Teletype version of Lunar Lander as an example of the potential.   I was building Popular Electronics prescribed video-signal injectors to add Chiron text to a standard (NTSC) video signal and working at an AM radio station which had an entirely relay/mechanical based "programmable" automation system which allowed me to arrange the "playlists" to be anywhere from entirely predictable to pseudo-random (scrambled by the beat frequency between various song lengths and the patchboard logic which decided with of 4 carousels of infinite loop 4-track tapes to play next.   In principle I could set up an entire hour of auto-play of music, PSAs and commercials.  This also felt like a "computer game" in it's own way.

One of my first assignments in my first "computer graphics" class was to re-implement Lunar Lander on a Tektronix storage-screen (green-screen etch-a-sketch) (circa 1978)...   vector refresh video games were already common (asteroid and battlezone and a few others?)...

I find it very difficult to separate (predictive) simulation from video games excepting the details of interface and seriousness of simulation subject.

On 6/17/24 9:09 AM, Marcus Daniels wrote:

I’ve never been able to understand people that play or write video games.    There’s one game some colleagues were playing that simulated navigating academia and becoming a PI.   People like nursing their PTSD?   Ick.

*From:*Friam <friam-boun...@redfish.com> *On Behalf Of *Roger Critchlow
*Sent:* Sunday, June 16, 2024 2:53 PM
*To:* The Friday Morning Applied Complexity Coffee Group <friam@redfish.com>
*Subject:* Re: [FRIAM] new directions at the michael levin lab

My older daughter knows Baba Is You, she says it's very interesting in a tear down the boxes sort of way.

-- rec --

On Sun, Jun 16, 2024 at 1:44 PM Frank Wimberly <wimber...@gmail.com> wrote:

    Like.  I have grandkids ranging in age from 3 to 27.  I wonder if
    I'll have great grandkids.  My adult grandsons' girlfriends think
    babies are "disgusting".  I hope many others in their generation
    feel differently.

    ---
    Frank C. Wimberly
    140 Calle Ojo Feliz,