Kurt Pagani wrote:

> I've got several complaints that installing
> https://github.com/nilqed/fricas_jupyter fails. Indeed, there are a lot of
> changes in various prerequisites like pzmq, sbcl and jupyter. It's
> difficult to maintain a package if so many dependencies still are under
> active development. Anyway, I've never been really satisfied by this Lisp
> based kernel. Consequently I'd like to switch back to the Python based
> kernel, however, replacing "expect" by a socket based solution (that seems
> to me maintainable in the long term). Since I don't want to translate
> sman/session ... to Python. I'm about to interface "libspad.so" by "ctypes"
> (a native and reliable method) so that we could act/connect like sman from
> within the ipython kernel.
> Unfortunately I've now idea yet how the connection mechanism looks like. So
> my question is whether anybody could tell me which functions provide a
> minimal connection scheme (?)

What you mean by "minimal connection scheme"?  Do you want to have
separate data chanell or want to connect to some existing one?

Current FriCAS connection scheme is a mess.  Core of this mess is
that standard Lisp IO have no concept of socket and that original
code performed all output to Lisp standard output using binding
of *STANDARD-OUTPUT* special variable to redirect output.  In
effect all output from FriCAS to other programs appears on single
Unix file descriptor (that is standard output) and one copy of sman
is responsible to demultiplex FriCAS output and send it to proper
destination.  Other programs use Unix domain sockets, and use
functions like 'connect_to_local_server' to establish connection.
Graphics only uses sockets, so is cleaner.