On Sun, Aug 23, 2020 at 10:04:29PM +0800, oldk1331 wrote:
> Actually we can stick to hexadecimal for pid
> less than 1 million as well.
>
> Current possible max pid is defined by PID_MAX_LIMIT in kernel,
> which is 2^22, around 4 million.

I would not count too much on this limit.  I have heard that
currently 32GB modules are resonably priced.  With such
modules cheap 128 GB home machine is possible.  With
multiprocessor (server) board 512GB should be easily
available.  Such machines may support several million
processes.  While demand for large number of true
processes is probably low, IIUC Linux allocated thread
identifiers from the same pool.  At least some folks
tried to run with really large number of threads.  So
I would expect that some people will increase the limit...