>Date:  Wed, 25 Nov 1998 13:01:29 -0500
>From:  Food Share <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
>To:    [EMAIL PROTECTED], "[EMAIL PROTECTED]" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
>Subject: Monsanto under siege in India
>
> **please distribute as widely as possible**
>
>Dear friends,
>
>On Monday the 16th the public was informed by Indian newspapers that
>Monsanto (well known in India for the Terminator Technology) has been
>conducting 40 field trials with genetically manipulated cotton across
>five
>Indian states for the last three months. Monsanto is testing a hybrid
>cotton seed that has been genetically engineered to produce the Bacillus
>
>thuringiensis (Bt) enzyme. The permission granted by the federal
>government
>in Delhi pertains the states of Karnataka, Tamil Nadu, Andrah Pradesh,
>Gujarat, Maharashtra and Madhya Pradesh. Now that peoples' movements are
>
>starting to mobilise on this matter, the same central government that
>granted the permission is inviting Monsanto to leave the country.
>
>Monsanto has formed a joint venture with Mahyco (a 30 years old seed
>company) to carry out these field trails. According to the media,
>Monsanto
>now owns 26 percent of Mahyco.
>
>In the rest of the message I include some excerpts of the newspaper
>coverage of this affaire. We will keep you informed of the developments
>in
>this part of the world, which will most probably include a number of
>non-violent direct actions to burn down the genetically modified crops
>and
>kick Monsanto physically out of the country. We encourage you to do
>similar
>actions all over the world - maybe we can make Monsanto's shareholders
>feel
>our pressure reflected on the value of their stocks.
>
>Friendly greetings,
>
>Prof. Nanjundaswamy
>President, Karnataka State Farmers Association
>[EMAIL PROTECTED]
>
>'Curiously though agriculture is a state subject, Karnataka Government
>seems unaware of the trials going on in the State. Agriculture Minister
>C.
>Byre Gowda admitted that he had been informend of the on-going trials
>but
>was unaware of where they were being undertaken - in Karnataka or in
>Maharashtra.' (The Indian Express, Bangalore edition, cover page, 16th
>November)
>
>The trials started three months ago although the 'Ministry of Science
>and
>Technology has admitted that it does not have the requisite regulatoy
>regimen to assess the risk of dealing with such transgenic material for
>which biosafty guidelines have only now been issued.' (The Indian
>Express,
>Bangalore edition, cover page, 18th November). In that sense, the
> [...]

Visit our Web Site for Free Copies of Our Community Quality of Life Reports!

http://www.utoronto.ca/qol

   Canalising a river
   Grafting a fruit tree
   Educating a person
   Transforming a state
   These are instances of fruitful criticism
   And at the same time instances of art.
       -Bertolt Brecht

Dennis Raphael, Ph.D.
Associate Professor and Associate Director,
Masters of Health Science Program in Health Promotion
Department of Public Health Sciences
Graduate Department of Community Health
University of Toronto
McMurrich Building, Room 101