At 10:10 AM -0600 11/27/98, tom abeles wrote:

>Logic has never conversted a person- logic provides the rationalization
>for the decision.
>
>the "green utopia" doesn't seem to be worth the price to get their- it
>is not a resort destination but a destination of last resort- we get
>there if we conserve and we get there if we don't- it may be somewhat
>more pleasant if we go their volunatrily, but is it worth the price?
>
>that is what the Greens have not addressed- Gucchi's yes, Birkenstocks
>No
>
>Other than an apocolypse or a serendpitous epiphany strking the world,
>what is the alternative?
>
>thoughts?

I believe that a much more satisfying life is possible by substituting
friends, community, conversation and caring for stuff. I largely
practice it, as do many of my friends. Admittedly none of us is lacking
anything vital, although some of us have learned to live well on
incomes far below the poverty line. I think it is a hard sell in this
culture not because it is not an atrtractive message but because it
doesn't even get postage-stamp sized coverage while consumerism rides
tall on every newspaper and magazine page, every tv and movie screen,
and every bus, taxi, billboard etc.

I'd also like to endorse Brad McCormick's similar but much more poetic
statement.

Aung San Suu Ky, like Gandhi, Mandela and a few others represents a
climax of finding meaning in "impossible" let alone less than optimum
physical circumstances. We probably can't match them, but we can move
ourselves towards their end of the spectrum rather than what used to be
called the jet set's end.

Caspar davis