Tor Forde wrote:

> BAHA KUBAN wrote:
>
> >Thoughts on the character of Mass Production;
>
> >This discussion of course is one about the character of
> >technological systems themselves. Are they neutral, value free or
> >socially constructed.
> >I think enough evidence now points to technologies as social control
> >mechanism as well. Among many possible technical paths to the
> >solution of production questions some are preferred over others due
> >essentially to the power game.
> >Mass production is a particularly poignant example of this due to
> >its embodiment of  Taylorist management and deskilling.
> >To expect a participatory outcome from mass production would be
> >impossible due to its development as an elite control technology.
>
> >A good example of the impossiblity to democratically control mass
> >production was the beginnings factory soviets in the opening phases
> >of the bolshevik revolution. Mass production technologies
> >transferred or rather copied from the west allowed only hierarchical
> >control giving
> >rise to the consolidation of the management elite.
>
> >That participative and democratic control of technology is
> >necessary, there is no doubt. But the design of production
> >technologies is where the real social control has to come in, all
> >the way to the initail research&development phase. How present
> >capitalist technologies can be
> >reconfigured  for a fairer workplace and production process is the
> >baffling question!!?
[snip]

I heartily concur with the diagnosis, but think we *have*
effective remedies if only we could get the patient to
submit to the treatment (which, in fact, would not
be painful...).

Once again, as I write this, I go to my bookshelf and
retrieve a book IBM's Research Library deaccessioned:

    WORK IN AMERICA: Report of a Special Task Force to the Secretary
    of Health, Education, and Welfare.  Foreword by Elliot L.
    Richardson.  The MIT Press (no date)

The reason I keep citing this document is that it's not
"something flaky out of left-field", but the United States
government itself (yes, I know the story of blind men and
elephants...).  I quote from pp. vii-viii:

    In our quest for a better environment, we must always
    remember that the most important part of the quality of
    life is the quality of work, and the new need for job
    satisfaction is the key to the quality of work.

This is Elliot Richardson quoting *Richard Nixon*!  (IMO,
Nixon was a lot better president than some of his
successors who
are more widely held in higher esteem but who have
done far more damage to America than "Tricky Dick's"
"plumbers" ever did!)

My suggestion: "It works if you [we] work it."

\brad mccormick

--
   Mankind is not the master of all the stuff that exists, but
   Everyman (woman, child) is a judge of the world.

Brad McCormick, Ed.D. / [EMAIL PROTECTED]
(914)238-0788 / 27 Poillon Rd, Chappaqua, NY 10514-3403 USA
<!THINK [SGML]> Visit my website ==> http://www.cloud9.net/~bradmcc/