Thank you for that reply, Thomas.

I am both dismayed and heartened by your answer--that no specific
references come to mind. They don't to me either, and I have not heard any
suggestions from others on this list or others like it.

The role of the huge and rapid increase of consumer credit--and consumer
debt--is virtually undiscussed in either the popular press or serious
economics, it seems.

Could that be true? Or am I just not finding what I am looking for which
abundantly exists?

And if consumer debt (and easy bankruptcy too, in the US, let's not
forget) is NOT discussed in serious economics, why is this? Is it because
it is too trivial an issue to consider, or too serious an issue to
consider?

When I recently serarched online for information about this, I retrieved
literally hundreds of sites all dealing with helping the reader cope with
her debt burden, and NOTHING analyzing the role of this burden (and the
"purchases" which were made "on credit) in the real economy.

Why?

And yes, Thomas, I am of the age that remembers when consumer credit was
very rare, difficult to get, and limited in its use--but also
comparatively cheap. Now, most of my mail is composed of offers for credit
cards or other lines of credit.