From: Cordell, Arthur: DPP
To: Judi Kessler; Andrew Straw
Cc: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: torn
Date: Saturday, December 04, 1999 1:56PM

I guess the question is ---In a globalized world there will be harmonization
(of wages, working conditions, environment, etc.), do we want to try to
achieve upward harmonization or do we allow a drift to lower standards.
There will be harmonization:  At what level.  I (as you can gather) would
like to have the world harmonize upward to what we call development and as
much as possible not reach harmonization by having the presently developed
give up the hard won gains of development.  I think this is what much of the
WTO dispute was about.

arthur cordell