From: "Ed Weick" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>; "Ed
Goertzen" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Sent: Tuesday, December 07, 1999 5:15 PM
Subject: Re: torn: Reply to Ed Wieck

> Ed,
>
> The posting you comment on seems to have been
misunderstood by a lot of
> people.  It was intended as irony and as a
demonstration of how laying the
> blame for a wide range of woes and human
failings on a single group or class
> can lead to absurd and dangerous conclusions.
My point is that the world
> was in a sorry state long before there was an
identifiable capitalist class.
> My reference to the Jews was intended to
illustrate that, if you can trump
> up enough charges and make them sound credible,
you can get away with just
> about anything.  Historically, many charges were
trumped up against the
> Jews.  In ancient times, they killed Christ.  In
medieval times they
> desecrated the host and participated in blood
libels, and worst of all,
> poisoned wells and thereby brought on the
plague.  The 19th century
> witnessed things like the Dreyfuss affair, and
in the 20th we had the
> trumped up Protocols of Zion.  The fact that
some Jews, including Trotsky
> and some other leading Bolsheviks, were
communists did not help them either.
> As Goldhagen demonstrates, convincingly in my
opinion, so many nefarious
> labels had been pinned on the Jews by the 1930s
that they became easy
> victims.  Translate that into some of the things
posted on the internet
> recently and you could have a crusade against
anyone you label a capitalist,
> including the guy who operates a Macdonalds or
Starbucks franchise in
> Seattle.  I'm not saying that the Seattle
protests were such a crusade, but
> some of the so-called protesters could easily
have become one.

> So, to summarize, my quarrel is not with Jews or
capitalists or any other
> group, but with pinning labels on people and
unjustifiably blaming them for
> things they may not have had much to do with.
Crusaders did not kill Jews
> and other infidels because the crusaders were
capitalists.  They killed them
> because within medieval society they had been
conditioned to do so.  It
> assured them of a path to heaven.  Right now,
Russians are not killing
> Chechyns because of capital.  They are doing so
out of animosity going way
> back into czarist times, because they're afraid
that if the Chechyns go,
> much of the Caucuses could follow and perhaps
also because they want to
> demonstrate to the world that they are still a
military power (a very sorry
> way of doing it!!).  To justify what they are
doing they've pinned a
> convenient label on the Chechyns, that of
"terrorists".