----- Original Message -----
From: "Ed Weick" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: "Bruce Leier" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>;
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]>; "Ed Goertzen"
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Sent: Wednesday, December 08, 1999 6:50 PM
Subject: Re: torn: Reply to Ed Wieck

> You are right.  I don't want to name the system,
because I'm not really sure
> of what I should call it.  And I feel some
personal discomfort around giving
> it a name, especially one I might not like,
because I am part of it.
{{Ed,  you can never overcome anything you can't.
Naming is the 1st step in enlightenment.  It is
not something to be afraid of.}}

> All of us are.

{{Are you always in favor of that which you
participate in?}}
  Someone, perhaps the late Robert Theobald,
argued that changing the
> system would involve changing ourselves rather
fundamentally, perhaps
> ethically and spiritually, and I would question
how ready we are to do that.

{{I, and I don't think I am alone, am ready to and
already have changed.  Theobald did.  Maybe you
can, too.}}

> I would grant you that we serve capitalism, but
it also serves us.  It has
> been responsible for the very high standard of
living we have in the rich
> world.
{{It all depends on how you define "high standard
of living".  What I define as a high standard of
living is not needing a car, being able to get the
food and other things I need within walking
distance and from people whom I know and trust.  A
high standard of living means I get a say in all
decisions that affect. me.  A high standard of
living means that no one is exploited in the
production of anything that I use.  Capitalism
continues to lower my standard of living.}}

>  As imperialism, it has also at least in part
been responsible for
> the very poor standard of living found in many
other countries.  What this
> has led me to wonder is how willing we are to do
without the many benefits
> that we enjoy because of capitalism.

{{You imply that without capitalism there would be
no progress or inventions.  That would indeed be a
very silly belief.  Although it is what the
mainstream media would have us believe.}}

>>  To get rid of it and build a more
> equitable world, we might have to give up an
awful lot.  Let's ask
> ourselves, what would we really be willing to do
without?  Could we give
> things up without becoming rather different
people than we are?  Would we
> want to do that?
{{What is unique to capitalism could be done
without.}}