On 12-Jun, 19:22 +0200, I wrote:

>> > The reports of the survivors offer little help as they
>> > didn't know anything about why the attack was made.
>>
>> But they know that the US President ordered US forces to turn around.
>> That says it all.
>>

>> > I can see no advantage to the Israelis in deliberately
>> > attacking an American ship.
>>
>> This intelligence-gathering ship witnessed war crimes on the land
>> (IDF executing Arabs POWs).  The IDF tried to eliminate the witnesses.
>> http://www.wrmea.com/backissues/0596/9605028.htm

("...US forces to turn around" refers to those who started coming to the
 rescue of the USS Liberty during the attack.)

As for your other question:

> If Johnson had ordered all American warships to take
> station 100 miles away from the conflict, I wonder what the
> Liberty was doing there. Why didn't she leave with all the
> others?

Your source answers this:

"United States communication failures, whereby messages directing the ship
 not to approach within 100 miles were not received by the Liberty."

( http://www.jewishvirtuallibrary.org/jsource/History/liberty.html  2nd para)

HTH,
Chris