jan matthieu wrote:
[snip]
> On the other hand, and from my green angle, I think it's high time there
> comes a world wide tax on kerosine for planes.

My feeling is that maybe air travel taxes should pay for
the cost of all the security measures to keep the
planes flying, and also pay a living wage to the
folks who do it.

Teleconferencing eliminates the NEED for face-to-face
meetings between multinational corporation
executives.

Vacation travel is a luxury.  Let people pay its
real cost in comparison with other forms of
leisure (OK: "free time") activities, such as
having a glass of good spirits with good friends
in a place with a good view (or a good library,
or both or more...).

I would be surprised if the percentage of
air travel that is actually necessary was
higher than it would be cheaper (and, surely: safer!)
to provide for their travel by chartered planes -- which
would have the interesting "side effect" of
making the conditions of travel far better for those
who have to fly.  Occasional passengers can also
be accomodated on cargo planes (andf government
personnel could sometimes use military planes that
were already going where they are going).

Of course, as with other addictions, we probably
would not want to go "cold turkey", but rather
do an intelligently socially managed gradual transition from
people flying around, to people flying only for
exigent reasons.

    Man, unlike the donkey, walks in a straight line
    because he has a goal.
                         (--Le Corbusier)

    Three things are not possible:
    The desire of the rich always to have more,
    The desire of the sick for something different, and
    The desire of the traveller to be any place but here.
                         (--Arthur Appel)

\brad mccormick

--
  Let your light so shine before men,
              that they may see your good works.... (Matt 5:16)

  Prove all things; hold fast that which is good. (1 Thes 5:21)

<![%THINK;[SGML+APL]]> Brad McCormick, Ed.D. / [EMAIL PROTECTED]
  Visit my website ==> http://www.users.cloud9.net/~bradmcc/