Thanks Harry,

Let's consider a couple of other things.

1. it is not mankind's desire that is unlimited but mankind's capacity for
desire that probably is so.

2. once mankind does desire it, completion of that desire is based upon
several different intentionalities that are time/space and
culture/consciousness bound.     e.g. the buying of gas at your neighbor's
station, rather than Sears, in order to save the community the loss of his
family and to trade something else of value that he would do for you.
Economics makes some of these very points but its problem is with its being
basically blind to wholeness in the lives of humans and human culture.

     The biggest scam in capitalism is that there are no consequences to
your not supporting community.     I pay tremendous expenses as a result of
living in a society that basically does not support small communities.
Living here is necessary for my job but the expenses makes saving
impossible.    Not so my parents who together made $7,000 a year as teachers
but who saved and had a medical and retirement plan.    They couldn't own
land on the reservation but the community made up for the differences in
costs and they did much better in their retirement then either of their
children existing in this Wal-mart world.

You described purchasing, with your son, as entertainment and sport but that
has little to do with the long term life that so many of us are forced to
live unless we are willing to commit to working in high paying widget drudge
work.    You may as well do Amway.    The products are good and you have a
community beyond Wal-mart.     There are a lot of well known movie stars and
others who have found Amway with its private Ponzi scheme to be far superior
to Wal-mart and its cultural poverty.    Those of us in the Arts know the
business of residuals very well also and so Amway is not that much different
from the investment of your time and energy in a movie that pays residuals.

Do I think its a good system?     It all depends upon whether you like the
life of Willy Loman.

Ray Evans Harrell from New York City