----- Original Message -----
From: "Brad McCormick, Ed.D." <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: "jan matthieu" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Cc: "Ray Evans Harrell" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>; "Mantle, Rosalyn"
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]>; "Anthony, David" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>;
"Bradskey, Teresa" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>; "Cole, Karen Watters"
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]>; "Dawn Anthony" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>; "Downs ,
Jason" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>; "Dunn, Darcy" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>; "H, Joan"
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]>; "harrell, jane" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>; "Krueger,
Jack A." <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>; "Sagowa" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>; "Sleigh,
Ben and Roz" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>; "Watters, Valorie" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>;
"futurework" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Sent: Saturday, November 30, 2002 1:05 PM
Subject: Re: Whining (Pay the real cost for it! )

> jan matthieu wrote:
> [snip]
> > On the other hand, and from my green angle, I think it's high time there
> > comes a world wide tax on kerosine for planes.
>
> My feeling is that maybe air travel taxes should pay for
> the cost of all the security measures to keep the
> planes flying, and also pay a living wage to the
> folks who do it.
>
> Teleconferencing eliminates the NEED for face-to-face
> meetings between multinational corporation
> executives.
>
> Vacation travel is a luxury.  Let people pay its
> real cost in comparison with other forms of
> leisure (OK: "free time") activities, such as
> having a glass of good spirits with good friends
> in a place with a good view (or a good library,
> or both or more...).
>
> I would be surprised if the percentage of
> air travel that is actually necessary was
> higher than it would be cheaper (and, surely: safer!)
> to provide for their travel by chartered planes -- which
> would have the interesting "side effect" of
> making the conditions of travel far better for those
> who have to fly.  Occasional passengers can also
> be accomodated on cargo planes (andf government
> personnel could sometimes use military planes that
> were already going where they are going).
>
> Of course, as with other addictions, we probably
> would not want to go "cold turkey", but rather
> do an intelligently socially managed gradual transition from
> people flying around, to people flying only for
> exigent reasons.
>
>     Man, unlike the donkey, walks in a straight line
>     because he has a goal.
>                          (--Le Corbusier)
>
>     Three things are not possible:
>     The desire of the rich always to have more,
>     The desire of the sick for something different, and
>     The desire of the traveller to be any place but here.
>                          (--Arthur Appel)
>
> \brad mccormick
>
> --
>   Let your light so shine before men,
>               that they may see your good works.... (Matt 5:16)
>
>   Prove all things; hold fast that which is good. (1 Thes 5:21)
>
> <![%THINK;[SGML+APL]]> Brad McCormick, Ed.D. / [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Harry Pollard
Henry George School of LA
Box 655
Tujunga  CA  91042