At 11:07 02/12/02 -0500, you wrote:
(KH)
<<<<
I can't speak for  Harry, but I don't have much time these days for ideals.
I used to when  I was young, but then I've realised over a lifetime that
"good" people  with ideals get one (and often whole populations) into a
deal of  trouble.

(REH)
<<<<
Does this mean when someone says that you have common sense you
automatically assume that they mean you are a follower of G. E.Moore?
Instead I would say that you are a follower of  the ideals of your own
local knowledge.

I can't comment on Moore. I've never read him directly -- though I suppose,
living in an Anglo culture, I've been unconsciously influenced by him.

As to ideals: true, I can't escape from my own ideals in the sense that I
have prejudices about the sort of society that would seem to me to make
better sense than the one we have. But these prejudices (oh, so boringly!)
are mainly derived from what we are increasingly understanding about
ourselves from our knowledge of genetics, anthropology and the like, not
from poetry or from gushing, romantic visions of human nature. (The latter
are enjoyable in an historical way but not something you'd put your money on.)

(REH)
<<<<
I wasn't talking about a free market mode but an actual modern "Free
Market." . . . .  Do you have any personal proof that you can validate from
modern experience of such a society built upon Laissez Faire existing in a
modern capitalist market mode?

Not that I'm aware of. But I'm not really sure what you mean.

Have a good day, too.

Keith

Keith Hudson,6 Upper Camden Place, Bath BA1 5HX, England
Tel:01225 312622/444881; Fax:01225 447727; E-mail: [EMAIL PROTECTED]