Brian,

Now your posts get two back for one. They must be good.

You are quite right. It takes the best psychologists and billions of dollars to persuade people - which indicates to me that they aren't easy to persuade.When they try something and like it, they will keep buying. If they don't like it. That mammoth advertiser Coca-Cola brought out a new Coke. People didn't like it and the company had to quickly revert to the old taste - which they called Classic.

I find that many liberals are quite concerned about the effect of advertising on the Great Unwashed. They are of course quite immune to corporation seduction - it's those poor uneducated, unintelligent, polloi out there who need help.

Of course,there was a time when liberals opposed the malefactions of the elite. Now, all too often, they appear to have become the elite.

Brian wrote:

Harry wrote:
If they buy something it's because they want to buy it.

Hi Harry,
If people buy things because they want them, why do people who sell
things spend billions of dollars advertising? Are they afraid that
buyers might forget that they want their product, sevices? Why do
advertisers hire the best psychology grads to work for their firms? Are
these people more gifted at reminding people what they want? Or is the P
T Barnum quote at play here?

Take care,
Brian
ps I really want to read your views on adjunct vs tenured profs but I'm
not willing to pay for them. I'm hoping that you will freely share them
like you do with the tenets of your creed: Land, Labour, Capital and
Wealth

Harry Pollard
Henry George School of LA
Box 655