Harry, I think the only benefit of fuel cells (batteries) is that they can
be charged while demand is low, so it lessens the need for larger electrical
power sources to meet peak consumption.  But as batteries are highly
entropic, they present a net energy loss.

Hybrid cars -- internal combustion engine/electric engine) convert breaking
power into stored electricity (batteries), which drives the electric engine.
So batteries do have a net beneficial use in hybrids.  But, as you say,
batteries are not a source of power.

Cheers,
Lawry