Ed wrote:

Keith, I know very little about this kind of thing, but Ballard Power
Systems of Vancouver have been doing some interesting things in developing
fuel cell engines.  For example, see:
http://www.evworld.com/databases/shownews.cfm?pageid=news300802-03

Ed
Ed,

It is interesting - but doesn't tell us a lot. Fuel cells carry energy to other places. They are best suited, I would think, for mobile situations, such as buses.

Much depends on the energy loss in transferring other energy to fuel cells. If, for example, the energy loss is 50% - then twice as much oil, or natural gas, or whatever, will be burned to get the same energy. (This is not a correct difference, but the point is perhaps made.)

Municipal transit doesn't have to be economical - simply politically correct. So, the test isn't really a fair one. LA Transit tried a non-diesel fuel in 50 of their buses - which led to 50 buses replacing their engines. Not something private companies can afford.

Harry

Harry Pollard
Henry George School of LA
Box 655