Lawry and Karen,

Everything depends on the energy lost in the transfers with regard to fuel cells.

I recently bought a powerful rechargeable flashlight with one of these super beams that shows things in the next county but it only lasts for 15 minutes. A second bulb can be left on for 25 hours - enough to light dimly a room in an emergency.

However, what is interesting is that it has a lead/acid rechargeable battery in it! It's heavy, but not unduly so. They keep making improvements and eventually . . . . . ?

Meantime, check out the Star Rotor engine at:

http://www.starrotor.com/

Lawrence wrote:

Harry, I think the only benefit of fuel cells (batteries) is that they can
be charged while demand is low, so it lessens the need for larger electrical
power sources to meet peak consumption.  But as batteries are highly
entropic, they present a net energy loss.

Hybrid cars -- internal combustion engine/electric engine) convert breaking
power into stored electricity (batteries), which drives the electric engine.
So batteries do have a net beneficial use in hybrids.  But, as you say,
batteries are not a source of power.

Cheers,
Lawry

Harry Pollard