From: Ed Weick [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]
Sent: Friday, December 20, 2002 2:05 PM
To: Cordell, Arthur: ECOM; [EMAIL PROTECTED];
[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: [Futurework] Re: Not ideological (was More crap again)

> Agree with Brian, and so does "Albert"
>
> "It is theory that decides what can be observed." (Albert Einstein)

But must theory, especially about something like the nature of the universe,
be based on ideology as opposed to human curiosity, refined and compounded
over the generations?  In my previous posting, I used the term
"anti-ideological" which is how people like Copernicus and Galileo were
perceived by the ideologues or, more properly, theologues of their time.
However, neither C or G set out to attack or destroy anything.
Curiosity-driven, they wanted to get to the truth.  That may be possible in
economics, and I used the example Kahneman and Tversky in my previous
posting.  Yet it is far more difficult in economics because one is dealing
with phenomena that are mostly untestable and unprovable, except within the
carefully postulated bounds of their assumptions and first principles.

Ed