Brian,

The "way of the theory" isn't at all bad.

You observe, and see a possible relationship.You make a hypothesis, which you test. If it tests out positively, you might raise it to a theory. If your theory shows invariability, you might well raise it to a law, but that isn't so likely - though to be desired.

As I said, it doesn't seem at all bad to me.

Yet Shotter feels we must throw it out to make room for - actually nothing, not even a theory. In fact, worse, he doesn't seem to climb past that worst of all possible worlds, the untestable hypothesis

He quotes Kitto:

"the universe, both the physical and the moral universe, must not only be rational, and therefore knowable, but also simple; the apparent multiplicity of things is only apparent"

Well, you know the two assumptions I suggested preceded every science. They don't have to stated. They are just assumed, because they must be.

"There is an order in the universe."

"The mind of Man can discover that order."

If the opposite is assumed, there can be no science. In fact, anyone must fear the very next moment, for it might be chaos. So the scientist proceeds as if the assumptions are correct.

He says:

"the way of theory suggests to us that the primary source of all of our human activities is, supposedly, to be found in mental representations inside the heads of individuals"

Manifestly ridiculous. We may hypothesize that is going to rain. But the source of the hypothesis is observational. We see circumstances that lead us to expect rain - from what we already have observed at other times.

He says:

"This leads on to a second point, a worry to do with the forming of human communities: For the way of theory suggests to us that they come into being through the forming of rational agreements - Rousseauian 'social contracts'. In other words, it suggests that new forms of social relations can be argued or administrated into existence. But, as Richard Bernstein (1983) remarks, all attempts to implement 'the idea that we can make, engineer, impose our collective will to form [new] communities... have been disastrous"

Again, rather doubtful, but he sets up a situation then argues against it. Agreements follow the establishment of a community - agreements not to harm each other, for example.

But, in the "collective will" area, utopian communities are plentiful. They fail mostly, but not necessarily, when the charismatic leader dies. Religious communities often last for generations - and longer.

If he refers to the failure of government power to do things, that's another matter.

His "eyes of a stranger" bit is much ado about nothing. The Pollards talk to everyone, at any time, under all conditions. Our lives are enriched by these contacts. Yet, we haven't lately met any Others, or Othernesses up on the mountain recently.

Today, by the water, we passed the time of day with a family we haven't met before. We discussed the paths up the mountain, an alternative trail to the top from Glendale, rain, snow, and whether the little girl took care of the two twin sons.

Then we went on up, and the family presumably went to their car. We enjoyed the meet, but there was nothing darkly significant about it.

I intended to cut him to pieces, but it's wearisome.

I don't think he says very much, but he wraps anything he does say in a torrent of words that obfuscate rather than announce any profundities.

The amusing ting about what he says is that (as I said above) it is couched in the manner of an hypothesis - an untestable hypothesis.

If it were testable, it would perhaps march onward toward "the way of a theory".

Which would no doubt send him into a tizzy.