Selma,

As someone mentioned it was a speech to his fellows, which affected the words. It often seems like an old boy's club, with everyone quoting each other.

However, I don't think there was a whole. He rambled a lot, didn't really make any point in a satisfactory way. It is assumed quite often that if something is presented in cabalistic fashion, it must be profound.

We may need that little boy who saw the Emperor wore no clothes.

I concede that I may simply not be intelligent enough, nor perhaps well-read enough, to understand the deep significance of what he wrote.

So, perhaps someone will tell me.

Selma wrote:

Harry,

It seems to me you've taken Shotter's quotes out of context and interpreted
the pieces in a way that doesn't fit with, at least my reading, of the whole
of what he had to say.

I don't think he is saying that testing or science is bad or unnecessary; I
don't think that is what he was saying at all. What I did read sounded not
entirely different from what people like Wittgenstein, Bateson and others
argue and that is that you cannot know about something until you get outside
of it. You cannot deal with the problems of a theory unless you are willing
to acknowledge that there may be problems with it and thereby allow yourself
to get outside of it in order to have some perspective on it.

Thomas Khun also deals with some of these issues when he talks about the
ways in which paradigms change; they cannot change unless the context in
which they are being used allows for the possibility that they may be
inadequate; one has to think "outside the box" and that's not possible as
long as one is locked into the theory itself.

Selma