There must be subjects that are not like this, but I can't
> think of any at the moment.  If a subject is not central to the
> interdisciplinary study of other persons, at a minimum it
> has such a role in the life of the person pursuing it.
>
>      The form of life of the worker is the co-product of all work.
>
> Or does anyone disagree?

I don't disagree except,  in the modern "economy of scale" amid current definitions of "productivity" certain professions become untenable no matter how important they are to the life of the culture, community and family or to the life of those who practice it.    The closest thing that I could compare it to is "racism" where people who are the wrong color are not allowed at the table or the uniqueness of their culture is regarded as valueless.

The comments that Rupert Ross made about language in the First Nations of Canada could be said as well about the African languages or for that matter Ebonics which has a verb rather than a noun base.    But it is the fact that English in its noun centered world view is considered the only world view that has value to North American cultures even though the experts in Linguistics all came down on the side of teaching Ebonics as a bridge language not only for African American culture but for those dealing with African culture such as American businessmen.

Business and modern economics seems to come down on such an English centered reality that at its extremes they even hobble themselves without learning the foreign language that they must do business within.    Or they do a quick Berlitz course that just makes them on the level of "Dick and Jane going to the bathroom" when they are in intricate business negotiations.    If that is adaquate for business between America and China, Japan or Korea then business is even more simple minded than even I ever imagined.    Or consider the importance of war.     Life and Death.     America firing qualified Arab linguists because they are Gay,  then they tie themselves to translators who can have their own agendas and suffer from corruption themselves.  They won't all have the Patriotism of the Cherokee Sargeant York in WW I or the Navajo code talkers in WW II.

After the problem has been apparent at the UN for forty years there is no excuse for such self-limiting chauvinism.   Just to make this understandable I would suggest that you check out this URL and listen to the dialogue between folks who are all arguing over a translated manual codified in the third century from three different languages and cultures into many different versions of what that manual is supposed to mean in English.    I would also ask you to note the threatening nature towards the host for his having a different take on that manual.
http://www.msnbc.com/news/849071.asp

Such is the stuff of decaying Empires made.

Ray Evans Harrell