> Ed,
>
> Are you arguing that the questions that generate an idea for a lab
> experiment are not based on some theory? that the theory comes out of some
> vacuum rather that some assumptions about human nature, etc? that the way
> the experiment is set up also comes out of a vacuum of some sort rather
than
> some preconceived ideas about the nature of life?
>
> Selma

No, I'm not arguing that.  Experimentation does have to be theoretically
based and it may also be ideologically based.  What it attempts to do is
determine whether something that is theoretically founded is actually
supportable by testing under rigorous conditions.  That's all I'm saying.
What Kahneman and Tversky did was test whether people are rational under
conditions of uncertainty of outcomes.  What they found was that it depends
very much on how the question is put to them.  Kahneman, incidentally, won
the Nobel Prize for economics for his efforts.  Tversky could not share it
because he had died a few years previously.

Ed

Ed