Hi Brad,
You need to read Monk's bio. Wittgenstein renounced all his wealth right
after he was released from an Italian POW camp in 1919. His thesis for
his Ph.D (Cambridge - Russell and Whitehead advisors) was the Tractatus
(considered by many as one of the most important philosophical works of
the 20th century so it might be considered legit as a thesis) that he
wrote as an Austrian soldier during the war. I wonder why he didn't use
his family's enormous wealth to avoid that bloody war? Two of his
brothers committed suicide. Your 'facts' about his playing architect are
inaccurate.
During the 1920s he spent 6 years as an elementary school teacher
working with poor Austrian kids. He lived a monk-like existence from
1920 till his death in 1951.

Take care,
Brian