Brian, the book reviewers you quote seem to take a pretty dim view of the
12th Century and the way it treated women.  It may not have been quite like
that.  Many historians refer to it as "an awakening" and a time of an
increasing secularization of the western world, a  period of good climate,
good crops and the discovery or rediscovery of Greek and Arab scholarship.
It was the time of the "grammarians" and "dialecticians" who traveled from
town to town, teaching subjects such as grammar, rhetoric and dialectics.
Among these was one Peter Abelard, considered by some to have been the
foremost intellect of his time, and his tragic romantic involvement,
Heloise, a highly educated woman.  There were several important lay social
movements, both male (e.g. Beghards) and female (e.g. Beguines) and all
kinds of questioning of the established dogma and order of things - e.g.
Meister Ekhard (just a little later), the Albgensians and the Waldensians.
The ferment continued well into the 13th Century, when the Pope finally
decided to put a stop to it in 1277 by issuing the "219 Condemnations",
which layed it out on where the church stood on the matter of faith versus
reason.  If you wanted openness and reason, you could not have it in the
Church.  Even that didn't stop it.  What seems to have done so was the pure
nastiness of the 14th Century, a time of miserable harvests, famines, and of
course the Black Death.

I'd suggest that if some of the important trends at work during the 12th
Century had continued, we would have had a reformation and renaissance much
earlier, and a very different role for women in society and academia than
prevailed during the ensuing centuries.

Ed

Ed Weick
577 Melbourne Ave.