Hi Brian,

Have you read any of Erich Fromm? or Gregory Bateson? Dorothy Lee's book
*Freedom and Culture* deals directly with the effect of the various concepts
of being and time, etc as to the way they affect people's lives; she is
especially good at spelling out the relationship between language and
behavior. Fromm, as I'm sure you know, deals with the way capitalism leads
to the commodification of human beings, an idea that has come up on this
list from time to time. He deals with it directly in *To Have or To Be* and
with its consequences in much of his other work, especially *Escape From
Freedom* and *The Anatomy of Human Destructiveness*.

Yes, Einstein did point out to us that time and space are artifacts of human
thinking. He also was very clear that his most profound ideas derived from
mystical experiences and dreams. I don't know what other evidence one would
need to have to acknowledge that 'being in the moment' can be of value in
the advancement of rational understanding of the universe. Herbert Maslow
writes about the importance of mystical experiences in *The Psychology of
Being* and Milhaly Csikszentmihalyi in his books about  being in the 'flow'
of work, etc. enhances and enriches life.

So yes, there are some very serious people who have dealt with the way the
mind/body split and the assumptions of the scientific method have been
limiting and at the same time acknowledge the benefits that have been the
result of that split. The problem is that when that split and the ideas that
emanate from it are applied to the way we deal with ourselves and others as
human beings, we become objects, we deal with ourselves and others as
objects and our lives and experiences become fragmented and are at the root
of why so many of us feel isolated and alienated and have to turn to power
and violence in order to feel fulfilled. These things have also been pointed
out eloquently and in great detail by thinkers such as David Bohm, David
Peat, John Briggs and others.

Selma