Wrong date - computer glitch. Here it is again.

Keith,

When I was involved with nuclear I ran into an interesting comparison in Chicago. They used coal, oil, and nuclear power plants. The engineer in charge made the point that of the three nuclear provided the cheapest power, and also had the least downtime.

He did point out that had he been able to use local "dirty" coal, ten coal would have been cheapest. Bringing "clean" coal in from the West pushed coal power above nuclear.

Two political problems have dogged nuclear. First, keeping a $5 billion plant from operating while 2-3 years of court antics take place is no way to run a business. The plant is already heavily in debt when it finally starts operating.

Secondly, if they had been able to drop their spent fuel rods in the ocean trenches instead of keeping them on site - the present expensive and risky situation would never have developed.

Also, the new nukes are apparently efficient and very safe. You didn't believe they could be run with the coolant off, but I've seen it happen. They don't even need containment shelters. To me, they seem to be the key. Environmentalists are perhaps in a state of shock - these horrible things don't even emit that well-known plant food - CO2.

Privatization in Britain demonstrated that the conservatives had no firm philosophy. This included Thatcher, who did some good things but inevitably began to guess at what to do in the absence of a solid understanding of the free market. In any event, I suppose had she tried to do something significant, she would have been stopped. Meantime, the idea of privatizing monopolies is beyond belief.